People love their pets and tend to feel comforted by them- but what a lot of people don’t know is that pets have been shown scientifically to benefit us. Here are some ways they do this:
1. simply petting an animal lowers your heart rate and blood pressure. Therefore, those with pets might want to pet their animal the next time they feel upset.
2. Interacting with dogs in particular lowers heart rate and blood pressure as well as the level of cortisol (stress hormone) and self-reported experiences of anxiety, demonstrating a “buffering response” against stress. Simply having a dog in the same room as a person has also been shown to have anxiety-decreasing effects.
3. In a survey of 246 college freshman, a study found that 90.3% of those with pets reported feeling comforted and supported during stressful times when interacting with their animal.
4. Interactions with animals have also been shown to lower the potential effects of loneliness and depression.
5. Interactions with animals help to instill a sense of autonomy (by having the responsibility to care for another living thing), confidence, and self-esteem.
6. Animals tend to be very empathic, which in itself can be comforting. Their ability to demonstrate empathy can also teach us to have more empathy for others.
7. Animals are upfront- they do not lie. Through their body language, they will always tell you how they are feeling, how they are feeling about you, and what they desire. This makes it easier to feel secure around them, especially for those who have trouble feeling secure with other people. Their upfront behavior can also teach us to pay attention to our own feelings and be honest about them with others.
8. Animals live in the moment. They do not mourn over the past nor fear for the future. They know how to play even in adulthood as well as they did when they were very young. They will teach you how to play if you have forgotten how to do so. By emulating your animal, you can learn to appreciate the present moment more instead of being lost in the past or the future. Play with your animal and watch their delight in the present moment. Let that delight spread to you. Share in their joy- they certainly don’t mind sharing with you!
9. Animals tend not to hold grudges. As people, we sometimes pay too much attention to our own egos and forget that other people are just as imperfect as we are. Animals can teach us patience and forgiveness.
10. Lastly, animals love. They love us, no matter what. We love them. By bringing the same emotional principles to our human relationships, we can learn to love more and allow ourselves to be loved by others.
- cathedralofdeadbolts reblogged this from madgirlslovetea and added:
- madgirlslovetea reblogged this from clinicallydepressedpug
- hairypitsandtits likes this
- peepantsrepulsa reblogged this from umajanelaaberta
- peepantsrepulsa likes this
- glam-pire likes this
- whyyesitiskate reblogged this from faysbook
- akalittleone likes this
- natureofdust reblogged this from umajanelaaberta
- natureofdust likes this
- whowatcheswatchmen likes this
- mackeydesign likes this
- umajanelaaberta reblogged this from faysbook and added:
- faysbook reblogged this from manicpixiedeathbitch and added:
- neuroflux likes this
- geniusofthemediocre likes this
- flaface likes this
- cuandolaluna-sefue reblogged this from babyshibe
- babyshibe reblogged this from slutmuffins
- vicky199318 reblogged this from manicpixiedeathbitch
- vicky199318 likes this
- slutmuffins reblogged this from manicpixiedeathbitch and added:
- rural-jur0r likes this
- helpmedigherup likes this
- ihaveabsolutelynoidea likes this
- manicpixiedeathbitch reblogged this from camsprite
- blackoutatsunsrise likes this
- atalantapendrag reblogged this from community-care and added:
- why-are-youtiger likes this
- voiceofthetunnels likes this
- voiceofthetunnels reblogged this from casfeathers
- obsidianwitch likes this
- hospitalhorror likes this
- postapocalypticjelly likes this
- lyzs likes this
- zmbishare reblogged this from la-nena-con-muchos-libros
- mushu-the-drag0n reblogged this from clinicallydepressedpug
- mushu-the-drag0n likes this
- teaandworlddomination reblogged this from clinicallydepressedpug
- teaandworlddomination likes this
- mixed-sage reblogged this from clinicallydepressedpug
- mentalhurricane reblogged this from clinicallydepressedpug
- mizzkuku likes this
- bootsindisguise likes this
- orbett likes this
- underhuntressmoon reblogged this from clinicallydepressedpug and added:
- wordsarearrows likes this
- idiotmouth reblogged this from clinicallydepressedpug
- la-nena-con-muchos-libros reblogged this from clinicallydepressedpug and added: